Personal statement – Sandra Nulty, Allianz
I first moved to Munich in January 2004 from Dublin, where I was working for Allianz Ireland. I stayed in Munich until the end of the ‘04 then worked for Allianz in Singapore during ’05, before returning to Munich in January of this year. Munich is a home away from home to me now… initially moving to Munich/Allianz HQ was a decision of the head rather than the heart – nowadays, I like to think it’s both.
How would you evaluate the leisure facilities and cultural offers in Munich? What’s your favourite place to go?
- Organised leisure facilities are quite expensive such as gym membership / horse-riding etc however, the various parks and indoor/outdoor swimming facilities are great.
- Cultural offers are of a very high standard, and relatively inexpensive. I really enjoy visiting the numerous museums and the beautiful castles in and around Munich.
How would you describe the city and the mentality of its inhabitants?
The city is:
- Excellent transport system
The inhabitants are:
- Extremely nice but difficult to get to know
- Not overly proud of their nationality, this increased during the World Cup
but I feel it’s lapsing again
- Quite serious
- Well organised and active
- Always willing and eager to speak English.
Which advice would you give newcomers?
- Give yourself a couple of months to settle in
- Take German lessons before and when you move
- Speak to people who’ve lived here before, or live here now, and get recommendations from them regarding, doctors / dentists etc.
- If you’re not (an English) a German speaker, stock up on your DVD collection as English TV is not always available
- Try not to stick to the “expat” scene – make German friends too
- Buy a bicycle, it’s a must!!
- Travel as much as possible as the transport systems in and around Germany are great
What would you like to do in Munich if you had 4 hours to spend?
- Meet friends for a coffee
- Walk in the English Garden
Link recommendationswww.toytowngermany.com/munich English-speaking community
www.freetranslation.com Free Translation
www.hot-maps.de/europe/germany/bavaria/munich/homeen.html Map of Munich
www.mrlodge.de Temporary Accommodation in Munich
www.museum-lichtspiele.de/start_english.htm Movietown Cinema